There is a famous bakery in Bangalore (India) called Iyengar’s bakery, and they make these very tasty buns filled with spiced mashed potatoes. You can also do some variations based on your choice of flavors like adding spices to the bun dough or adding more vegetables instead of potatoes.
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 250 gms (2 cups)
- Milk – 250 ml (1 cup)
- Active Dry Yeast – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 and ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Spiced boiled and mashed Potatoes
- In a small bowl, combine milk (125 ml), yeast, and sugar. Let it stand for 15 minutes until the mixture foams on the top.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and the remaining milk (125 ml) to the flour and knead until the soft ball is formed. The dough will be sticky in the beginning. Keep stretching and kneading (5-7 minutes) till you get a soft ball.
- Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover with a clean-damp cloth.
- Let the dough rise for 1 hour in a dry and warm area.
- Once the dough has risen, punch the dough to remove the excess air.
- Roll the dough into a long strip and cut into 5 parts. Make small balls out of each part and place them on a greased bowl to proof for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, put the oven on pre-heating at 200°C.
- Take one ball and knead it lightly. Flatten the ball with your fingers and put 2 tbsp of spicy mashed potatoes on it. Pick the dough from all sides and cover the potatoes completely like a momo and make a round ball.
- Place the dough balls on the greased plate and put them in the oven.
- Bake the buns for 25 minutes at 200°C.