When you don’t just want to decorate your birthday cake or cupcakes but also want to increase their taste manifold, go for this buttercream frosting. This frosting is made by beating butter and icing sugar until light, fluffy, and stiff (You can also use half the quantity of butter and half the quantity of Shortening to get a better stiffness for design making). This frosting is good for spreading around the cake and layering the cake. Also, this frosting can hold its shape and can be used to make various shapes like flowers, leaves, and designs using the piping bag and nozzles. Once this frosting mixture is ready, you can add your favorite color to the mixture and decorate your cakes or cupcakes as per your liking.
- Salted Butter – 115 gms (½ cup)
- Unsalted Butter/Shortening – 115 gms (½ cup) (If using shortening, ½ cup will be 95 gms)
- Icing Sugar – 480 gms (4 cups)
- Cocoa Powder (for chocolate Frosting) – 50-100 gms
- Milk/Water – 30-45 ml (2-3 tbsp)
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Add salted butter and unsalted butter/shortening to a large bowl and beat until combined and smooth.
- Add half of the icing sugar and mix well until well combined and smooth.
- Add vanilla essence and 1-2 tbsp of milk or water. Mix well.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and mix well until well combined.
- Add the remaining milk or water, if required as per the desired consistency.