This is one cake in which the flavor of carrot and orange together creates a magic. Even the people who do not like carrots or oranges cannot resist this delicious cake. Like a typical tea cake, this recipe follows two aeration steps – Creaming process of butter and sugar and Whisking of whole eggs. I enjoy this cake as it is but the taste of this cake doubles up with cream cheese icing.
Ingredients for Carrot-Orange Cake
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 100 gms
- Sugar – 115 gms
- Butter – 80 gms
- Eggs – 3 number
- Grated Carrot – ½ cup
- Orange Pulp – ½ cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – A Pinch
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder – ½ tsp
- All Spice Powder – ¼ tsp
- Orange Zest – 1 tsp
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soft Cheese – 200 gms
- Butter – 50 gms (Softened)
- Icing Sugar – 80 gms
- Vanilla Essence – Few Drops
Method for Carrot-Orange Cake
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C.
- Dust the baking dish.
- Sieve the maida, baking powder, and soda bi carb and keep the flour mixture aside.
- Beat the whole eggs separately till they double in volume and till the mixture becomes thick and of dropping consistency.
- Beat the butter and add sugar to it gradually (in small portions) while beating. Keep beating the mixture till the mixture is creamy, light, and fluffy.
- Add maida and egg mixture to the butter mixture in small amount, alternatively. Mix lightly. You should start with maida mixture and end with maida mixture.
- Add grated carrot, orange pulp, cinnamon powder, and nutmeg powder to the cake batter. Stir the batter once or twice very gently.
- Pour the mixture in the baking dish and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes.
Method for Cream Cheese Frosting
- With an electric whisk, beat together butter and icing sugar till the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and beat briefly until soft and smooth. (Do not overbeat cream cheese as it may split and become runny.)
- Spread over the cake once the cake is cooled down.