This is the most common cake that we see in any tea party. Being a tea-time cake, its texture is smooth, crumbly and at the same time, moist. This cake is made by creaming the butter and sugar and then incorporating the whisked whole eggs. Once the final batter is ready, you can make the variations. For a Dry Fruit cake, just add some dry fruits to the batter and on the top. For the Marble or Danish cake, divide the batter in two bowls and play with two different colors.
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 115 gms
- Sugar – 115 gms
- Butter – 80 gms
- Eggs – 3 number
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – A pinch
- Fruit Essence – 1/4 tsp
- Mixed Dry Fruits (cashews, raisins, candied peels) and Tutti-Frutti – 1/2 cup (For Dry Fruits Cake)
- Cocoa Powder – 2 tbsp (for Marble Cake)
- Food colors of your choice – 2-3 drops (for Danish Cake)
Method for Dry-Fruit Cake
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C.
- Dust the baking dish.
- Sieve the maida, baking powder, and soda bi carb and keep the flour mixture aside.
- Beat the whole eggs separately till they double in volume and till the mixture becomes thick and of dropping consistency.
- Add mixed fruit essence to the egg mixture.
- Add maida and egg mixture to the butter mixture in small amount, alternatively. Mix lightly. You should start with maida mixture and end with maida mixture.
- Add dry mixed fruits to the cake batter. Stir the batter once or twice very gently.
- Pour the mixture in the baking dish and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes.
Method for Marble Cake
- Follow the Dry fruit tea cake recipe till step 6.
- Divide the cake batter into two portions.
- To one portion, add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and a dash of milk to make a smooth mixture.
- Put one spoon of each portion in a dusted baking dish alternatively and then on top of each other.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180⁰C for 35-40 minutes.
Method for Danish Cake
- Follow the marble cake recipe till step 2.
- To one portion, add yellow color and to the another portion, add pink color.
- Put one portion of mixture over the another and give it a light swirl with a tooth pick.
- Transfer it to a dusted baking dish and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes.