When we think of lemons, we think of freshness. True to its name, Lemon cake is fresh and bright. The lemon syrup and lemon icing take this cake’s taste to an another level. Easy to make, this cake can be enjoyed anytime. Do not forget to add the fresh lemon zest in the cake batter and also in the icing truly accentuate the flavor of the cake.
Ingredients for Lemon Cake
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 190 gms (1 and ½ cups)
- Sugar – 200 gms (1 cup)
- Butter (unsalted) – 115 gms (½ cup)
- Eggs – 2 number
- Buttermilk – 120 ml (½ cup)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Lemon Juice – ½ lemon
- Lemon Zest – 1 lemon
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Ingredients for Lemon Syrup
- Lemon Juice – 1 lemon
- Icing Sugar – 3 tbsp
Ingredients for Lemon Icing
- Icing Sugar – 120 gms (1 cup)
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Lemon Zest – 1/2 lemon (Optional)
Method for Lemon Cake
- Preheat the oven at 180°C and dust the baking dish.
- Sieve maida, baking powder, and salt and keep it aside. Add lemon zest to it.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and add sugar to it gradually (in small portions) while beating. Add eggs one by one and keep beating the mixture till the mixture is creamy, light, and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence and lemon juice to the mixture.
- Add maida and buttermilk to the butter mixture in small amount, alternatively. Mix lightly. You should start with maida mixture and end with maida mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the baking dish and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, spread the lemon syrup over the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled down, spread the lemon icing over the cake.
Method for Lemon Syrup and Lemon Icing
- Mix lemon juice and Icing sugar to make lemon syrup.
- Using a hand whisk, whisk icing sugar and lemon juice lightly to make lemon icing. Use milk if the mixture is thick.