Two reasons why I came up with this recipe – I wanted to convert my Vanilla-Sour Cream Cupcake recipe into a cake recipe and I wanted to try a sponge cake with oil. The cake turned out so good and my kids loved it. The recipe is simple and uses the basic cake ingredients. Since, we have used oil in this recipe, the amount of beating is less, the amount of baking powder used is a bit more, and the cake remains moist for longer.
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 175 gms (1 and ¼ cup )
- Sugar – 190 gms (1 cup)
- Vegetable Oil – 60 ml (1/4 cup) or 55 gms Butter
- Sour Cream – 60 ml (1/4 cup)
- Eggs – 1 large or 2 small numbers
- Milk – 150 ml
- Baking Powder – 1 and ½ tsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven at 180°C and dust the baking dish.
- Sieve the maida and baking powder for aeration and proper mixing. Keep it aside.
- Take a large bowl and add eggs, vanilla essence, sugar, and oil to it. Mix it with an electric whisk.
- Add sour cream to this mixture and mix the mixture again.
- Add maida and milk to this mixture alternatively. Start with the dry mixture and end with the dry mixture. The mixture will be a bit runny.
- Pour the mixture in a baking dish and bake at 180°C for 28 to 30 minutes. Check the center of the cake with a toothpick. If it comes out with moist cake mixture, bake the cake for 2 more minutes. Keep increasing the baking time by 2-3 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean.
- If the toothpick comes out clean, remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- After it has been cooled down, remove the cake from the dish on a wire-rack and let it cool for another 10 minutes till the cake is warm to touch.
- Cut the cake into slices and enjoy!